The Asia-Pacific Leadership Network for Nuclear Non-Proliferation and Disarmament (APLN), is an NGO and network of political, military, and diplomatic leaders and experts from across the Asia Pacific, working to address global security challenges, with a particular focus on reducing and eliminating nuclear weapons risks.
APLN works to ensure that the diversity of voices from our region are more effectively heard in global security debates to achieve practical policy change. Our activities are focused on addressing strategic rivalry in the region, facilitating dialogue and nuclear risk reduction measures, managing the China-US competition, and promoting nuclear non-proliferation and disarmament. We produce research, host events, and undertake advocacy work.
The APLN office is headquartered in Seoul, South Korea. With a team based in Seoul and in countries across the region, we are looking to recruit talented new people to join our organisation.
As Operations Manager you will play an important role in contributing to APLN’s general operations including governance, administration, human resources and finance. You are experienced in providing operational and administrative support. You can effectively manage competing priorities and can work collaboratively in a team on multiple projects. You will have at least two years of experience in management or a relevant administrative role. Fluency in written and verbal English and Korean is essential.
Job Description and Applicant Requirements
Job title: Operations Manager
Closing date: Wednesday, 24 January 2024
Salary range: US$ 28,000 – 38,000 per year (depending on experience)
Preferred start date: As soon as possible
Location: 4th fl., 116, Pirundae-ro, Jongno-gu, Seoul, South Korea (remote working mostly with occasional work travel)
Contract Type: Regular (full time)
Fundraising, Finances and Accounts:
- Working with our accountants to manage monthly payroll and expenses.
- Keeping an eye on cash flow, spend and payment of invoices to external suppliers.
- Creating budgets for grant applications; updating grant spend and financial report for completed grants; and monitoring and managing the organisational budget and forward projected budget.
- Assisting in fundraising efforts, researching potential donor organisations and individuals.
Managing all aspects of the organisation’s Human Resources work including:
- Managing and update relevant contracts, office leases and insurance policies.
- Ensuring the APLN is legally compliant and follows best practices in all aspects of its Human Resource policies.
- Providing HR support to individual staff members as required, including issuing and collecting employment contracts, employee references, organising staff training, staff events, annual performance reviews, terminations and approving annual leave.
- Providing administrative and general office support to contribute to the smooth running of the organisation.
- Arranging seamless travel logistics for both team members and event participants, inclduing the purchase of flight tickets, hotel accommodations, and any necessary transportation.
- Serving as the main point of contact for service providers, including hotels, travel agencies, and transportation services, ensuring a smooth coordination of all travel-related activities
- Participating in domestic and international events as a supporting staff member, providing logistical support and ensuring the smooth execution of event activities.
- Negotiating and managing contracts with vendors to secure favourable terms and ensure cost-effective event planning.
- Monitoring and tracking all expenses related to events, and working on detailed event financial reports, providing a comprehensive overview of expenses incurred during events.
Ensuring the APLN Board of Directors is properly serviced with secretarial support and is operating in accordance with ROK company law, including by:
- Organising meetings of the Board and the Network.
- Liaising with lawyers, accountants, auditor, senior Advisors and Director to ensure all necessary papers are provided to the Board in a timely fashion.
As a small team, we support each other in our work so you will be expected to help when needed. Likewise, you can count on the support of the team however you need it.
- 2+ years of professional work on office management, ideally within a think tank or NGO, university, government, international organization.
- Excellent written and verbal language skills in English and Korean.
- A willingness to work to a flexible timetable, which includes occasional commitments in the evening or early morning and international travel.
- Must reside in South Korea.
- University degree in management, administration, finance, etc.
- Interests in international affairs, foreign policy, and/or defence issues.
How to Apply
- To apply, please email your CV and a cover letter detailing how you meet the selection criteria (with Operations Manager in the subject line) to Tyler Kim, APLN Operations Manager, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Please restrict your CV to no more than two pages of A4. This should clearly outline any relevant experience to date.
- Please indicate your notice period if you are currently employed, and the city where you will be located if hired.
- Please include at least two references.
- For any inquiries regarding the application process, contact Tyler Kim at email@example.com.
- Only selected candidates will be contacted for the next steps in the process.