Senior Research Adviser
The Asia-Pacific Leadership Network for Nuclear Non-Proliferation and Disarmament (APLN), is an NGO and network of political, military, and diplomatic leaders and experts from across the Asia Pacific, working to address global security challenges, with a particular focus on reducing and eliminating nuclear weapons risks.
APLN works to ensure that the diversity of voices from our region are more effectively heard in global security debates to achieve practical policy change. Our activities are focused on addressing strategic rivalry in the region, facilitating dialogue and nuclear risk reduction measures, managing the China-US competition, and promoting nuclear non-proliferation and disarmament. We produce research, host events, and undertake advocacy work.
The APLN secretariat is headquartered in Seoul, South Korea. With a team based in Seoul and in countries across the region, we are looking to recruit talented new people to join our organisation.
As Senior Research Adviser you will play a critical role in contributing to APLN’s network, policy impact and research agenda. You are highly experienced in producing and delivering high-quality research and analysis. You can effectively manage competing priorities and with working collaboratively on projects. You will have at least ten years of experience in policy or a relevant research role. You should have an advanced degree in a related field. Fluency in written and verbal English is essential.
Job Description and Applicant Requirements
Job title: Senior Research Adviser
Recruiter: Asia Pacific Leadership Network (APLN)
Closing date: Ongoing until the right candidate is appointed.
Salary range: Competitive (depending on experience)
Preferred start date: As soon as possible
Location: Remote working mostly with occasional work travel
Duration: Consultancy. Flexible on full-time or part-time depending on the candidate’s needs.
- Identifying, in cooperation with the Director, research priorities for the organisation.
- Developing an organisational research strategy to pursue those priorities and ensuring that APLN research and commissioning is as sharply focused and timely as possible.
- Managing and implementing research and policy projects in collaboration with the team.
- Maintaining a personal publishing and media profile.
- Managing and overseeing the commissioning process for external contributions to the APLN’s website, working with the communications officer and other staff.
- Supporting publication planning and production, proof reading and editing content, and preparing content for print and online publication.
- Engaging with APLN’s senior network to better understand policy issues and involving network members in APLN activities.
- Engaging with governments across the Asia Pacific area to better understand policy issues and how governments understand them.
- Identifying emerging policy issues and analysis to ensure that our research and commissioning is as timely and relevant as possible.
- Designing APLN policy interventions on the back of the research, engaging our network for policy impact.
- Cultivating and maintaining relationships with prospective funders and partners.
As a small team, we support each other in our work so you will be expected to help when needed. Likewise, you can count on the support of the team however you need it.
- Advanced graduate degree in international relations, strategic studies, nuclear policy, political science etc.
- 10+ years of professional work on research-related initiatives, ideally within a think tank or NGO, government, university, international organization, or relevant private sector role.
- Strong research and publishing record in related topics.
- Excellent written, editorial and analytical abilities coupled with strong organizational and planning skills.
- Sound political judgement and understanding of multilateral processes.
- Ability to prioritize workload and meet deliverables.
- A willingness to work to a flexible timetable, which could include occasional commitments in the evening or early morning and international travel.
- An excellent teammate who is comfortable with working closely with others based in different countries and settings.
- Reside in the Asia-Pacific region (not more than a 5-hour time difference with Seoul).
- A proven deep interest and excellent understanding of international affairs, foreign policy, and defence issues.
- Fluency in an Asian language.
How to Apply
- To apply, please email your CV and a cover letter detailing how you meet the selection criteria (with Senior Research Adviser in the subject line) to Yoonsoo Kim, APLN Operations Manager, at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Please restrict your CV to no more than two pages of A4. This should clearly outline any relevant experience to date.
- Please indicate your notice period if you are currently employed, and the city where you will be located if hired.
- Please include at least two references.
- For any inquiries regarding the application process, contact Yoonsoo Kim at email@example.com