[Job Advert] Communications Officer
The Asia-Pacific Leadership Network for Nuclear Non-Proliferation and Disarmament (APLN), is an NGO and network of political, military, and diplomatic leaders and experts from across the Asia Pacific, working to address global security challenges, with a particular focus on reducing and eliminating nuclear weapons risks.
APLN works to ensure that the diversity of voices from our region are more effectively heard in global security debates to achieve practical policy change. Our activities are focused on addressing strategic rivalry in the region, facilitating dialogue and nuclear risk reduction measures, managing the China-US competition, and promoting nuclear non-proliferation and disarmament. We produce research, host events, and undertake advocacy work.
The APLN secretariat is headquartered in Seoul, South Korea. With a team based in Seoul and in countries across the region, we are looking to recruit talented new people to join our organisation.
As Communication Officer you will play an important role in managing and implementing our communications, engagement and outreach activities. You have excellent communication skills, both written and verbal, and are experienced in producing and delivering high-quality communications. You can effectively manage competing priorities. You enjoy being part of a small and growing team but are confident working independently. You will have at least three years of experience in communication, policy, or a relevant research role. Experience in international relations is a plus. You should have an undergraduate degree in a related field. Fluency in written and verbal English is essential. Strong writing skills are a must.
Job Description and Applicant Requirements
Job title: Communications Officer
Recruiter: Asia Pacific Leadership Network (APLN)
Closing date: Ongoing until the right candidate is appointed
Salary range: $28,000 – 45,000 USD (depending on experience)
Preferred start date: As soon as possible
Location: Remote working mostly with occasional work travel
Duration: 1-year contract with a strong likelihood of extension, subject to review. Flexible on full-time or part-time depending on the candidate’s needs.
- Ensure that our organisation has an effective and well-targeted outreach and communications strategy.
- Working with the team on the commissioning process and promotion of publications and events.
- Manage the APLN website, including writing and proofreading website content.
- Update the APLN’s social media accounts (including creating and scheduling content).
- Lead on the APLN website redesign.
- Draft and issue press releases and newsletters.
- Identify and engage with journalists and media partners.
- Monitor relevant news and policy developments and integrate into communications activities.
- Engage APLN network members, government officials, and other relevant stakeholders in our activities.
- Update and manage the contact database and lists with the help of the team.
- Monitor and record APLN policy and media impact.
- Ensure that the APLN is actively meeting its gender diversity, equity, and inclusion goals across its communications activities.
As a small team, we support each other in our work so you will be expected to help when needed. Likewise, you can count on the support of the team however you need it.
- A minimum of three years of relevant professional work experience.
- University degree in a relevant subject (including communications, journalism, digital marketing, strategic studies, international relations, public policy etc.).
- Strong organizational and project management skills. This includes an ability to coordinate a variety of communication campaigns and projects.
- Excellent proofreading and copyediting skills.
- Meticulous attention to detail.
- Fluency in oral and written English.
- Ability to prioritize workload and meet deliverables.
- Experience working with external contractors and partners.
- A willingness to work to a flexible timetable, which could include occasional commitments in the evening or early morning and international travel.
- An excellent teammate who is comfortable with working closely with others based in different countries and settings.
- Reside in the Asia-Pacific region (not more than a 5-hour time difference with Seoul).
- A proven deep interest and excellent understanding of international affairs, foreign policy, and defence issues.
- Excellent knowledge of a range of digital platforms as well as social media and web content best practices.
- Experience with using InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator, Lightroom, and Canva.
- Experience using Mailchimp or other email marketing tools.
- Experience running editorial, design, and content processes.
- Fluency in a major Asian language.
- Experience working in government, think tanks, policy, or defence research.
How to Apply
- To apply, please email your CV and a cover letter detailing how you meet the selection criteria (with Communications Officer in the subject line) to Yoonsoo Kim, APLN Operations Manager, at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Please restrict your CV to no more than two pages of A4. This should clearly outline any relevant experience to date.
- Please indicate your notice period if you are currently employed, and the city where you will be located if hired.
- Please include at least two references.
- For any inquiries regarding the application process, contact Yoonsoo Kim at email@example.com