ABOUT THE APLN
The Asia-Pacific Leadership Network (APLN), is a Seoul-based organisation and network of political, military, diplomatic leaders and experts from across the Asia Pacific, working to address global security challenges, with a particular focus on reducing and eliminating nuclear weapons risks. Our activities are currently focused on addressing the DPRK denuclearization challenge, strategic rivalry and the China-US competition, China-India-Pakistan nuclear dynamics, and nuclear non-proliferation and disarmament. By producing high-quality research, engaging our network, conducting events, and undertaking advocacy, the APLN works to ensure that the diversity of voices from our region are more effectively heard in global security debates to achieve positive policy change.
WHAT WE NEED
With a small team, based primarily in Seoul and across the region, we are looking to recruit talented new people and need an experienced Communications Officer to join our dynamic team. By joining the APLN, you can help to make a practical and positive difference to international peace and security. If you enjoy working in a dynamic, fast-paced environment in a growing Asia-based NGO then we would love to hear from you.
WHAT YOU WILL BE DOING
As Communications Officer you will play a key role in helping the APLN achieve policy impact and make a real-world difference. You will do this by enhancing the APLN visibility, reach and impact of our research and policy activities. You will communicate APLN’s work to new and existing audiences, including APLN network members, funders, policymakers, and journalists. You will also work with the team to ensure the effective use of the APLN as an advocacy network and the further development of our partnerships.
Job Description and Applicant Requirements
Job title: Communications Officer
Recruiter: Asia Pacific Leadership Network (APLN)
Closing date: Friday 29th April 2022
Salary range: Competitive, depending on skills and experience
Preferred start date: 1st July 2022
Location: Remote working
Duration: Full-time preferred but open to part-time working depending on the candidate’s needs. 1-year contract with strong likelihood of extension, subject to review.
- Working with the APLN team to ensure that the organisation has an effective and well-targeted outreach and communications strategy.
- Managing and updating the APLN website, including writing and proofreading website summaries and other content.
- Managing the commissioning process and publication schedule.
- Updating and monitoring the APLN’s social media accounts (including creating and scheduling content).
- Drafting press releases and newsletters.
- Identifying and engaging with journalists and relevant media partners.
- Monitoring news and events are relevant to the organisation’s activities.
- Contributing to organising events.
- Assisting in providing regular updates on all APLN activities to APLN network members and to the APLN’s wider audience.
- Updating and maintaining contacts databases and lists.
- Monitoring and recording APLN policy and media impact.
- Ensuring that the APLN is actively promoting gender diversity across its publications.
- University degree in a relevant subject (including communications, journalism, international relations, public policy, political science).
- Fluency in oral and written English.
- Well-organised and able to multi-task, with a keen eye for detail.
- Experience in using social media platforms and content management systems.
- Experience of working to tight deadlines and under pressure.
- Comfortable with editing and proofreading papers.
- Reside in the Asia-Pacific region (not more than a 5-hour time difference with Seoul).
- An interest and understanding of international affairs and security and defence issues.
- A willingness to work to a flexible timetable, which could include occasional commitments in the evening or early morning.
- A willingness to travel overseas.
- Experience in dealing with journalists.
- Previous experience in communication, external relations, or press role.
- Familiarity with Adobe Creative Cloud, particularly InDesign publishing and typesetting software.
- Experience in organising events.
- Fluency in a major Asian language.
How to Apply
- To apply, please email your CV and a cover letter detailing how you meet the selection criteria (with Communications Officer in the subject line) to Yoonsoo Kim, APLN Operations Manager, at email@example.com
- Please restrict your CV to no more than two pages of A4. This should clearly outline any relevant experience to date.
- Please indicate your notice period if you are currently employed, and the city where you will be located if hired.
- Any inquiries regarding the application process, contact Yoonsoo Kim at firstname.lastname@example.org.