A webinar on No First Use featuring several APLN members (Gareth Evans, Manpreet Sethi, Zhao Tong, Nobuyase Abe, and Pervez Hoodbhoy) took place on April 29, 2021. The webinar was hosted and sponsored by the Geneva Centre for Security Policy and cosponsored by Parliamentarians for Nuclear Non-proliferation and Disarmament, Peace Depot, People for Nuclear Disarmament, PragueVision Institute for Sustainable Security and the World Future Council.
NUCLEAR RISK-REDUCTION AND DISARMAMENT: Is it time for no-first-use policies in the USA and globally?
Thu April 29 @ 11:15 am – 1:15 pm
Session 1: Asia/Pacific
Chair: Alyn Ware (New Zealand). Global Coordinator, Parliamentarians for Nuclear Non-proliferation and Disarmament.
- Hon Gareth Evans (Australia), Chair of the Asia-Pacific Leadership Network for Nuclear Non-Proliferation and Disarmament; Former Australian Foreign Minister
- Professor Manpreet Sethi (India) who is Distinguished Fellow and head of the Nuclear Security Project at the Centre for Air Power Studies
- Professor Pervez Hoodbhoy (Pakistan). Former Chair and professor, Department of physics at Quaid e Azam University. Member of the UN Secretary-General’s Advisory Board on Disarmament Matters
- Vanda Proskova (Czech Republic), Vice-Chair of PragueVision Institute for Sustainable Security
- Nobuyasu Abe (Japan), Senior Advisor for the Council on Strategic Risks, Former UN Under-Secretary-General for Disarmament Affairs
Session 2: Americas/Europe/Africa
Chair: Marc Finaud, (France/Switzerland), Head of Arms Proliferation at Geneva Centre for Security Policy
- Thomas Countryman (USA), Chair of the Arms Control Association Board of Directors, Former United States Assistant Secretary of State for International Security and Non-proliferation
- Andrey Baklitskiy (Russia), Senior Research Fellow, Center for Advanced American Studies, Institute of International Studies, MGIMO University of the Russian Foreign Ministry
- General Bernard Norlain (France), Former Air Defence Commander and Air Combat Commander of the French Air Force. Vice-President of Initiatives pour le Désarmement Nucléaire
- Lord Hannay of Chiswick (UK), Chair, All Party Group on Global Security and Non-proliferation
- Commander Robert Forsyth (UK), Former Nuclear Submarine Commanding Officer, Royal Navy
- Uta Zapf (Germany/NATO/OSCE), Former Chair of the Bundestag Subcommittee on Disarmament and Arms Control
- Yasmeen Silva (USA), Partnerships Manager, Beyond the Bomb